Friday, July 25, 2014

First walk-thru in the books

Vikings coach Mike Zimmer reiterated on Thursday, following the team's first training camp walk-thru, that Matt Cassel is the No. 1 quarterback to start camp but not necessarily the starter once the regular season begins.

While there's competition between Cassel, Christian Ponder and rookie Teddy Bridgewater, Cassel said he's only worried about his game.

"I don't look at any of that stuff," he said. "I don't really worry about the competition. I know that, look, if I go out there and I get my reps, I gotta do the best I can do with my reps and I don't worry what's going on with them or anything else.

"Obviously, I'm trying to learn an offense just like they are. Each and and every day my focus is on that rather than, 'Oh, I have to compete ...' 'If I mess up ..." you can't be afraid to make mistakes because we're all going to do it, especially this time of year, and you gotta make those corrections."

Ponder was the starter the beginning of the year last year and eventually gave way to Cassel.

"It's different this year," Ponder said. "Last year I came in as the starter and now it looks like the position is wide open. It should be fun. We all know what Matt can do, and Bridgewater is picking things up very quickly."

Cassel and Ponder both said the have a good relationship with the others.

"The big thing is we all get along with each other. We all try to help each other," Ponder said.

Said Cassel: "Teddy got me a Gatorade today, which I was very thankful for."

For more notes from Friday, go here.

No comments:

Post a Comment